Things I Like: Nearly every day I use pCAM, a iOS app developed by Hollywood 1st AC David Eubanks. I started using pCAM way back in 1998 on the Palm Pilot platform. Eventually I traded in my flip-phone for an Android but would carry around a iPod Touch around just so I could use pCAM. I finally upgraded to an iPhone and retired the iPod Touch (and Palm Pilot) since I can now use the telephone, play music and use pCAM from the same device!
If you are a television Technical Manager, a feature film Director of Photography or a 1st AC, or just anyone who needs to accurately and quickly calculate (most) all things related to video & film cameras, pCAM is a must have.
There are twenty-four different tools in one app:
• Depth of Field calculation
• Hyperfocal calculation
• Image Circle calculation
• Splits/Aperture Finder
• Field of View (Picture Sizes)
• Field of View Preview in both Portrait and Landscape camera positions (with 8 images to size shots)
• Angle of View calculation
• Relative Sizes (compares sensors)
• Focal Length (lens) Matching
• Triangulate calculation
• Exposure calculations
• Running Time to Length
• Shooting to Screen Time
• HMI Flicker-free (safe shutters and safe camera speeds)
• Color Correction (choosing color correction filters)
• Diopter (calculations, distance, diopter power)
• Macro (Object distance, magnification, Corrected stop, DoF, Object Size, Image Size, Fill percentage)
• Time Lapse (Shooting Interval, Event Duration, Screen Time)
• Underwater Distance
• Scene Illumination (beam intensity)
• Light Coverage (width/distance)
• Mired Shift (with suggested color correction gels)
• Light (Eye-light or Catch-light)
• Light Effects (Animated light effects: fire, strobe, neon, siren, etc. For handheld light or Apple Airplay to HDTV)
• Conversion calculator
• Siemens Star (Focus chart)
• Insert Slate
• Works on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
• Dynamically recalculates instantly as user inputted data is changed.
• Customizable, user-defined Camera Formats, CoC and Filters
• Currently on the iOS platform only
• $29.95 price tag
If you are interested in this app, go to the developer’s website by clicking HERE.