Approximate 2 minute read
Things I Like: Nearly every day I use pCAM, a iOS app developed by Hollywood 1st AC David Eubanks. I started using pCAM way back in 1998 on the Palm Pilot platform. Eventually I traded in my flip-phone for an Android but would carry around a iPod Touch around just so I could use pCAM. I finally upgraded to an iPhone and retired the iPod Touch (and Palm Pilot) since I can now use the telephone, play music and use pCAM from the same device!
If you are a television Technical Manager, a feature film Director of Photography or a 1st AC, or just anyone who needs to accurately and quickly calculate (most) all things related to video & film cameras, pCAM is a must have.
There are twenty-four different tools in one app:
• Depth of Field calculation
• Hyperfocal calculation
• Image Circle calculation
• Splits/Aperture Finder
• Field of View (Picture Sizes)
• Field of View Preview in both Portrait and Landscape camera positions (with 8 images to size shots)
• Angle of View calculation
• Relative Sizes (compares sensors)
• Focal Length (lens) Matching
• Triangulate calculation
• Exposure calculations
• Running Time to Length
• Shooting to Screen Time
• HMI Flicker-free (safe shutters and safe camera speeds)
• Color Correction (choosing color correction filters)
• Diopter (calculations, distance, diopter power)
• Macro (Object distance, magnification, Corrected stop, DoF, Object Size, Image Size, Fill percentage)
• Time Lapse (Shooting Interval, Event Duration, Screen Time)
• Underwater Distance
• Scene Illumination (beam intensity)
• Light Coverage (width/distance)
• Mired Shift (with suggested color correction gels)
• Light (Eye-light or Catch-light)
• Light Effects (Animated light effects: fire, strobe, neon, siren, etc. For handheld light or Apple Airplay to HDTV)
• Conversion calculator
• Siemens Star (Focus chart)
• Insert Slate
• Works on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
• Dynamically recalculates instantly as user inputted data is changed.
• Customizable, user-defined Camera Formats, CoC and Filters
• Currently on the iOS platform only
• $29.95 price tag
If you are interested in this app, go to the following link on iTunes by clicking HERE.
Tom D’Angelo has worked in television production and AVL corporate theater for nearly four decades. He is Emmy Award nominated (Best Director category, Mid-Atlantic) and has been part of various teams nominated or winning national Emmys. As the Media Director at a megachurch in the 1980’s he developed a love for the Church and church performing and technical artists.