Approximate 1 minute read
Ever need to figure out how many gigabytes of storage your video recording will take at a certain resolution, frame rate or codec? Ever need to compute how many hours of footage you can fit on a certain drive size?
This week’s Things I Like is Aja’s DataCalc, an iOS app, and it can do all those calculations whether you use a Aja recorder or not!
• Computes space requirements for many codecs including 8bit YUV, 8bit RGBA, 10bit YUV, 10bit RGB, 12bit RGB, 12bit RGBA, 16bit RGB, 16bit RGBA, Apple Intermed, AVC-Intra 50, AVC-Intra 100, AVC-Intra 200, AVCHD, Canon RAW, CineForm 422, CineForm 444, CineForm RAW, CineForm 3D, DNxHD 36, DNxHD 145, DNxHD 220, DNxHR LB, DNxHR SQ, DNxHR HQ, DNxHR HQX, DNxHR 444, DV25 , DV50, DVCProHD, HDV, HDCAM-SR Lite, HDCAM-SR, HDCAM-SR 444 SQ, HDCAM-SR 444 HQ, ProRes Proxy, ProRes LT, ProRes (SQ), ProRes HQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 4444 XQ, Redcode (various), Red One RC (various), Sony 16bit RAW, XAVC-HD, XAVC-4K, XDCAM EX and XDCAM HD
• Video resolutions supported include NTSC, PAL, 1080i, 1080p, 720p, 2K, UHD, 4K, 8K and more
• Frame rates include 14.98, 15, 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 48, 50, 59.94, 60, 96, 120 and 240
• Calculations can be emailed, texted, or copy and pasted into other apps
• Price: Free!
• iOS only
• Does not have a H.264/H.265 codec option however you can substitute others (like DNxHD 36) as an approximate
Tom D’Angelo has worked in television production and AVL corporate theater for the last thirty-eight years. He has been nominated for a Mid-Atlantic Emmy Award (Best Director category) and has been part of various teams that have been nominated and won national Emmy’s. As the Media Director at a megachurch in the 1980’s he developed a love for the Church and church performing and technical artists.